Monday, April 13, 2009

Living With Less

I've recently been thinking a lot about living a life of simplicty. It's often something that I have talked much about, but have rarely accomplished. Slowing down and staying home with little Z has put a lot about life in perspective. The Mister and I want the best life possible for him, and that doesn't mean by giving him the most things.

I think too often we spend too much time working to acquire things. And for what? In the end, what do we gain by it? The Bible verse and saying, "I came into this world with nothing, and I will leave with nothing." (paraphrased) is often preached. But how much thought do we truly give it? I am convinced that too many of us fail to accomplish much of our life's purpose because we toil (often in vain) for more things. And I am convinced that we miss out on many opportunities because we are too attached to some things! We have allowed things to put limits on a life that should be limitless. Oh, how much time I have often spent to get some thing. And oh, how much time I have not spent using the talents and gifts that God has blessed me with. I am confident that if we would live a much simpler life and focus on our purpose in life, that in the end we would gain so much more!

"I make the most of all that comes, And the least of all that goes." ~ Sara Teasdale

Jerry Ireland, an AGWM missionary to Zambia, Africa, recently wrote an article on how we could learn so much from those less fortunate than us about our possessions. It's a short article and well worth the read. Click HERE to read it.

1 comment: